Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default Troublesome flourescent fixture rapis start ballast

In article , mstrspy wrote:

I recently replaced my "over the kitchen sink" light fixture with a
rapid start (no starter) fixture. The bulb will not ligh up unless I
jiggle the bulb. This of course is unacceptable. There is one
problem with the circuit that I think could be the culprit. There is
no grounf wire in the loop. Does this type of fixture absolutelly need
to be grounded?

It is widely recommended to ground the fixture. Grounding the fixture
affects the electric field distribution within a bulb that is trying to
start but has not yet become conductive, and this is often although not
always necessary for the bulb to "spark through" (my words).

Even if you get a bulb and ungrounded fixture that work together, this
can be unreliable. The bulb can age and its ability to start in an
ungrounded fixture can vary with temperature and these changes can be to
the extent of making a fixture require grounding to achieve starting even
if it started without grounding in the past.

I would say ground the fixture!

In addition, the bulb often needs to be within 1/2 inch of grounded
metal and if the ballast case is metal it should be attached to a grounded
metal fixture in case any secondary winding in the ballast has a ground
connection.

- Don Klipsatein )