Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default A/C Electrical Install

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...
put thin breakers in if you have too, to keep the unused dryer and
stove lines intact for a future home sale 100 amp should be OK.....

I agree. I really don't want wires hanging around so to speak. I'm not
so sure on the 100A service though. My biggest concern is in addition to
the 40A A/C unit, the other "large" appliance is a 3hp. cabinet saw and my
well pump. I haven't gotten out there to measure up or even pull the
panel cover yet so who knows what I'll come up with!

IUf you upgrade your service go to 200 amps

That would be ideal, and expensive. I'm not sure the feeders from the
transformer at the street are sized for 200A which would mean a pretty
expensive run of wire not to mention the whole new load center. At this
moment, I'm trying to stretch this one as far as I can safely until I
build my shop. At that point, the house will in essence become a
subpanel and the main power will be feeding from the shop. I of course
probably won't be building a shop for a few years but that's the plan at
the moment now.
Cheers,
cc

I just upgraded from 100 amp to 200 amp panel. Total cost less than $500
for permit, electrician, parts, inspection. Electric company was no charge
for up to 400 feet and I'm only 150 feet from transformer. So, check with
your electric company. Might not be as expensive as you think. Electric
company has incentive to provide a way for you to use more of their product.

Bob