Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Default NiCad Battery Packs?

Dave wrote:
Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Thanks!

Here in the U.S., I went to my local Batteries Plus store and got a pair
of sub-C's for my little B&D cordless screwdriver. I should have taken
the originals with me, as the standard sub-C's were a bit longer.
However I was able to shoehorn them in and was rewarded with increased
torque and longer time between charges.

(BTW, this unit was marked 'No user replaceable parts inside'.)

They came 'bare'; but the counter guy took them in back and welded on 2"
tabs for me. I snipped off the excess after test-fitting into the body
of the driver. He would have welded them together had I wished. The
tabs were easy to solder.

It would have been cheaper to get them on the web, but it was more
convenient to snag them locally. Cost? About $3.

jak