Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Default NiCad Battery Packs?

Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Dave wrote:
Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

Normally the size is 'Sub C'

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Most electronic suppliers sell them. Look for tagged cells. Trouble is
they often cost more than a new battery pack from the maker. However, if
it is a 'budget' power drill, etc, decent quality cells can often make it
work better than new. But with a budget drill make sure the charger isn't
going to damage your nice new expensive cells...

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs?

Yes, but as we don't know where in the world you are it's impossible to be
specific. If you are UK based try www.strikalite.co.uk. They sell tagged
cells which can be soldered.

The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Thanks!

Normal NiCads or NiMH can be soldered without significantly affecting their
performance or longevity. Score or sand the ends to be soldered and use a
very hot iron, preferably a temperature controlled one, and solder as
quickly as possible. I routinely use standard cells to repack my comms
equipment battery packs (they're very cheap on eBay!) and have yet to damage
a cell. I use normal stranded wire to join the cells together when space
allows, which is about 95% of the time.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RichK

Hi,

Depends on the tool. I was able to get replacement batteries for a
Black&Decker cordless, right from a B&D store and at a very reasonable
price.

Hard to believe, in these days of either ripoff or throwaway designs.

Rich

"Dave" wrote in message

Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Thanks!

If you desire to rebuild your own packs - or have them rebuilt, E. H. Yost
Battery (d/b/a Batteries America) -
has the professional equipment to spot weld tabs to the "button top" battery
you desire (AA, AAA, N, 1/2 N, Coin cell, C, Sub-C, D, etc.)
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/

They are also a reseller of Sanyo, Panasonic and Yuasa.

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Dave wrote:
Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Thanks!

Here in the U.S., I went to my local Batteries Plus store and got a pair
of sub-C's for my little B&D cordless screwdriver. I should have taken
the originals with me, as the standard sub-C's were a bit longer.
However I was able to shoehorn them in and was rewarded with increased
torque and longer time between charges.

(BTW, this unit was marked 'No user replaceable parts inside'.)

They came 'bare'; but the counter guy took them in back and welded on 2"
tabs for me. I snipped off the excess after test-fitting into the body
of the driver. He would have welded them together had I wished. The
tabs were easy to solder.

It would have been cheaper to get them on the web, but it was more
convenient to snag them locally. Cost? About $3.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Try a hobby shop involved in electric model airplane or car.

Daniel

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave wrote:
Is there a source for NiCad batteries with solder tabs that would be
suitable for rebuilding tool battery packs? The cells are about 1 5/8"
x 7/8" and probably 2100mAHr.

I don't want to overheat the cells with direct soldering. Don't own a
spotwelder. I want solder tabs.

Thanks!

I was aware of this company but didn't realize their prices were fairly
good... but they don't offer the tabbed batteries.

http://www.wcbatteryrebuilders.com/prod01.htm