John R. Carroll

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote in message
news

FWIW,
The CDC, in what was called an "unusual moment of candor" recently

reported
that gun legislation does not have a statistically significant

influence
on
gun crime in the US. If I can find the article I will post a link to

it.

Well, that would be refreshing to see, John. If you happen upon it, I

would
like to see it. But don't go out of your way for it.

I think John was referring to "First Reports Evaluating the
Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence: Firearms Laws
Findings from the Task Force on Community Preventive Services".

From: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm :

Summary

During 2000--2002, the Task Force on Community Preventive Services
(the Task Force), an independent nonfederal task force, conducted a
systematic review of scientific evidence regarding the effectiveness
of firearms laws in preventing violence, including violent crimes,
suicide, and unintentional injury. The following laws were evaluated:
bans on specified firearms or ammunition, restrictions on firearm
acquisition, waiting periods for firearm acquisition, firearm
registration and licensing of firearm owners, "shall issue" concealed
weapon carry laws, child access prevention laws, zero tolerance laws
for firearms in schools, and combinations of firearms laws. The Task
Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of
any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent
outcomes. (Note that insufficient evidence to determine effectiveness
should not be interpreted as evidence of ineffectiveness.) This report
briefly describes how the reviews were conducted, summarizes the Task
Force findings, and provides information regarding needs for future
research.

R,
Tom Q.

Tom,
That is the report but I was referring to and trying to find the piece I
first saw. It included additional material and cites related to enforcement.

The gist of the thing was that legislation is a poor substitute for good
judgment.

I agree. Pile on all of the laws you want but if they go unheeded and
unenforced these laws are worse than useless. They offer a false sense of
accomplishment and security. Good politics makes bad legislation. Now I
really must dig the thing out!

--

John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.