Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Can I transport an air compressor on its side?

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a small air compressor that I'm adding wheels and a handle ...
Can I turn it on its side in the car? ...

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
Depends on where the crankcase vent for the compressor is, ...
shaft seal is really good ... any other leaks ...

Oh, yeah - the crankcase *is* vented (through dipstick). I didn't like
the idea of tipping it, but it was the easy way out.

Look at rotary power mowers for easy ways to make the handle fold.

I was thinking about a folding handle, but not the lawnmower style. But
now that you mention it, I like it. In fact I went to the dump and got
a lawnmower handle and used it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/compressor.jpg

I also added the wheels and the handle in front. Very mobile now.
Before it was a very awkward one hand carry or a 2-handed
pressed-to-your-body carry. The handle in front also allows a 2-person
carry up stairs.

Thanks,
Bob

BTW - this was a dump find. It's a "1 1/2 hp" (yeah, right) Rol-Air.
Oil type and pretty quiet.