John R. Carroll

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

"yourname" wrote in message
I live in the people's republic of mass. We have some of the strictest
gun control laws in the country. WE have one of the lowest murder rates
in the country. Dat's a fact. Are they related? conjecture.

18000 murders in 1997[nationwide]
13000 by guns
so I think you can correlate murder rate to gun deaths, roughly
The northeast in 1999 had a murder rate of 4.1 per 100k
the country had 5.7
Mass had a rate of 2.0
states that had a lower murder rate:
New hampshire
Iowa
N Dakota

Idaho was equal

Sorry my numbers are a few years old. I need a new Almanac
People who fear reasonable gun control are mis informed.
I will be the first in line to stop anyone from taking YOUR right to
carry away.
I just want to know who you are

Ed Huntress wrote:

"BottleBob" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

"25 States allow anyone to buy a gun, strap it on,
and walk down the street with no permit of any kind:
some say it's crazy. However, 4 out of 5 US murders
are committed in the other half of the country: so who is crazy?" --

Andrew Ford

Mr. Ford, if there is such a person, is crazy. 'You want the numbers,

or
would you rather keep believing a lie and perpetuating it, in good old
effective Joseph Goebbel's style? g

Oh, what the hell: There are 27 open carry states and they represent

32.95%

of the population. They also are the states in which 31.26% of the

murders

are committed. Those are 2001 figures, US Census and FBI Uniform Crime
Reports. I have the Excel workbooks on it if you don't believe it, and
you're welcome to them.

If there is an Andrew Ford, and if you know who he is, you can tell him

for

me that he's either a fool or a liar, or a little bit of both.

Ed:

So would the Andrew Ford quote be acceptable if it were changed to:

"27 States allow anyone to buy a gun, strap it on,
^^^^
and walk down the street with no permit of any kind:
some say it's crazy. However, **2 out of 3** US murders
^^^^^^^^^^^
are committed in the other half of the country: so who is crazy?" --

It depends on whether you like propaganda or not. If you find that kind

of
argument acceptable (and you know why it is or isn't), you, too, may be
accepted for a Joseph Goebbels Scholarship at the university of your

choice.

However, it would be statistically correct, in the way that propaganda
sometimes uses the truth to tell lies. Ford's original quote is a lie
itself.

Ed Huntress

FWIW,
The CDC, in what was called an "unusual moment of candor" recently reported
that gun legislation does not have a statistically significant influence on
gun crime in the US. If I can find the article I will post a link to it.

--

John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.