Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Carrier Central Air Problem

On 27 May 2006 19:23:51 -0700, wrote:

I am having a problem with my Air Conditioner. The furnace fan blows
fine both the inside circuit breaker and outside power switch appear to
be on, but the outside air conditioner will not start. It makes a
buzzing noise and vibrates but the fan blades on the motor do not turn
(so after a few minutes I turn it off fearing that it will burn out the
motor). Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you think the fan is not turning even though power is applied, you
can take the cover of the fan off and, with the power off, try turning
the blades, like with any broken fan. I don't suppose there is an
obstruction but who knows?

If the blade turns easily, I'd be surprised but if so, maybe turn the
power back on and prod it with a stick, not that I've ever done this
but it seems like the next step.

If it doesn't turn easily, I think you need a new motor. These motors
don't require oiling, so I don't think oiling it will do any long term
good.

The same box has the compressor pump in it, but there's no special
reason to think that is bad. Again with the power off but after you
ran the the thing for a few seconds, if there is heat coming from the
coils surrounding the fan, the compressor is probably fine.

Thanks,
Dave