Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman

Default American Standard 5 ton unit and Hardstart Device on generator

"Murdentech" j. murden@i nsightbb .com wrote in message

"Geoman" wrote in message

Hi Brad,

I read somewhere on the internet what you want to do is to have 1.25
times the AMPACITY of the HVAC unit. .

http://www.mbinet.org/Magazine/comfort07_02.aspx

Personally, I would not feel comfortable with the generator sized even
that close. Inrush amps for starting can be up to ten times the normal
amount of power required to start an air conditioner. I'm not saying to
get a generator that is ten times larger than what the amperage labled on
the AC, but I would at least consider a unit at least 1.5 bigger.

Also, I would make sure the unit has the proper start components, NOT THE
ELECTRONIC hard start kits but a REAL relay and a REAL start capacitor
that is specific to this unit. To be sure get the one from the factory
who made air conditioner. I would also make sure you have a time delay
start component, your thermostat may have that built in.

Rich

PS, the start relay is a black plastic and probably has a small bleed
resistor across the terminals.

It makes me nervous to run a/c on a generator unless it is a commercial
facility installation that can run elevators and life safety equipment,
backed up by some mechanical engineer's liability insurance and license.

Too much potential for equipment damage from low voltage, phase
conditions, incorrect hertz, etc. Particularly with any electronic
control circuits.

You'll be stressing the windings of the compressor and possibly frying
those pesky *non-PCB* components... ;-)

I mentioned on another post about the issue concerning hertz stability. That
is one of my biggest concerns.

I agree with your post completely.

Rich