Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman

Default Is this DIDO really TURTLE? Look at the spelling etc....

"DIDO" wrote in message news:HVHdg.6$4I3.4@trndny08...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an American Standard Allegiance 12 5 ton Air Conditioner. The
model number is 2A7A2060A1000AA and the date of manufacture is 01/2003.

I am trying to determine if it has a hardstart kit on it or not. Some
people have told me that all ACs newer than 5 years come pre-installed
with a hard start device.

I have a 16KW Generac Generator (their new model 5244) that it claims
is "Central Air Certified" for a 5 ton unit. It did indeed start the
unit, but it seemed to struggle a bit (lights dimmed quite a bit, took
a couple of tries to get it started).

I have seen some info that a Kickstart hardstart device will allow for
better starting when voltage is low and is useful when used with a
generator.

I open the outside unit and found the following:
A round silver GE Capacitor with the following info:
27L322
80uf 440VAC
+06 .06% 50/60Hz
Protected P969
T10000AFC DIELEKTROL VI 0240
D137452P39
It is about 6" long 2.5" in diameter

This capacitor is running capacitor
would hard start kit help yes it would, howmuch?
salid state start kits are very esey to use, it have two wires
and it gets hookup accros the running cap.
in addition if you can get good circutry tech.
you can add small line cotactor for condenser fan
and add time delay on to compressors line contactor
permiting condenser fan to get up to full RPM
beforr compressor cuts in this would gave you
tremondus advantage on start up, condenser fan motors
can drow considarable amount of power until
they get up to rated RPM.
good luck from Dido

Not sure if this is a start capacitor or a run capacitor. The only
other thing I found wired in (other than the contactor) is a gray
cylinder slightly bigger than a D cell battery.

I intend to have a HVAC contractor come out and install the Kickstart
device if it is of benefit, but I would rather not pay for the service
charge (I live in a rural area) for someone to ome out and tell me it
will do no good. Any suggestions as to what I have and whether or not
the Kickstart will help? I'm kind of out of my element here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brad