Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Cotton

Default electric lawn mower motor?

Bob Swinney
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a feeling this question has come up before, but I googled and
failed, so here it is anyway. I have a motor I scrounged from a scrap
electric lawn mower (probably Black & Decker judging from the orange
color). It's a permanent magnet DC motor with brushes. At one end is a
5/8x1-3/8x7/16" ball bearing, and the other end of the shaft runs in a
plain steel bushing. The bushing end is mounted up in the lawn mower,
and there is an oiling hole above the end of the shaft. That hole has a
felt wick in it, so it is possible to oil the shaft running in the
bushing. However, I want to run this motor oriented so the bushing end
is down, making oiling it through the wick by gravity unfeasible. As I
see it, my options a

just run it anyway, it will probably have the same life expectancy
because the lawn mower user probably never oiled it anyway

try to get the bushing out of the plastic end piece and replace it with
oilite, which is self-lubricating

try to epoxy on a lube fitting of some kind which I could use with my
Bridgeport way oiler gun to force oil up in there

Anyone had this problem and solved it?

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Serv...ns/Default.asp
I have a CMM 1000 Black & Decker Cordless lawn mower. Above is the location
for spare parts.
I have experimented with use the motor from the lawn mower for my electric
snow blower. That story is here. http://www.billcotton.com/snow_blower.htm
Also there is a parts list from Dewalt part supply. This show a ball bearing
on both end. I looked at my motor and it seem to be only the bushing
bearing, however, I think that both are there.

--
www.billcotton.com