Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman

Default American Standard 5 ton unit and Hardstart Device on generator

Hi Brad,

I read somewhere on the internet what you want to do is to have 1.25
times the AMPACITY of the HVAC unit. .

http://www.mbinet.org/Magazine/comfort07_02.aspx

Personally, I would not feel comfortable with the generator sized even that
close. Inrush amps for starting can be up to ten times the normal amount of
power required to start an air conditioner. I'm not saying to get a
generator that is ten times larger than what the amperage labled on the AC,
but I would at least consider a unit at least 1.5 bigger.

Also, I would make sure the unit has the proper start components, NOT THE
ELECTRONIC hard start kits but a REAL relay and a REAL start capacitor that
is specific to this unit. To be sure get the one from the factory who made
air conditioner. I would also make sure you have a time delay start
component, your thermostat may have that built in.

Rich

PS, the start relay is a black plastic and probably has a small bleed
resistor across the terminals.