Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Geoman

Default American Standard 5 ton unit and Hardstart Device on generator

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:
I have an American Standard Allegiance 12 5 ton Air Conditioner. The
model number is 2A7A2060A1000AA and the date of manufacture is 01/2003.

I am trying to determine if it has a hardstart kit on it or not. Some
people have told me that all ACs newer than 5 years come pre-installed
with a hard start device.

Hard start kits are NEVER installed on a new AC. The purpose of such a
kit is to give extra energy to a compressor that is aging, has more
internal friction.

Incorrect. The reason they arent normaly installed is stricly cost. The
factory trys to design a system which will allow equalization of pressures
so they don't require a hard start kit to overcome starting against a high
head. A cap tube, FCCV valve, a bleed txv will all allow equalization of
pressures between the low and high side, that coupled with a time delay
thermostat will allow the factory to save money in material and labor.

A service call by a reputable HVAC contractor will install such a
capacitor ONLY when it is needed, ie. an old unit that fails to start
sometimes, particularly when the unit is hot and you attempt a restart
within an hour after it shuts down.

Incorrect again. Its once again cost or when needed.

On my home I have them installed, but I can't justify putting $150 on a
customers unit that isn't having problems and they have the required
criteria mentioned above .

I was surprised that Noons systems come with them. I was under the
impression that a scroll unit equalizes when its turned off.

Rich