Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spalted Maple Finishing

I was going to
finish one with clear shellac, 1 boiled linseed oil, 1 waterlox, 1
minwax tung or 1812 the canadian tung. Any suggestions with finishing
Spalted maple is appreciated. I do have varnish and poly in the shop. I

hope that these finishes wont yellow the white background. What would
make the colored lines pop the most as well as seal from future
rotting.

This is the most common finishing job in my shop- Shellac will yellow
it a bit (how much depends on the type) but it will make the grain
really pop. That's my personal favorite, but it really still looks
nice with spar varnish or poly as well. Biggest thing is getting it as
smooth as possible- you can polish maple until it looks like glass with
no finish at all, and the end result is really nice.