Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default electric lawn mower motor?

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a feeling this question has come up before, but I googled and
failed, so here it is anyway. I have a motor I scrounged from a scrap
electric lawn mower (probably Black & Decker judging from the orange
color). It's a permanent magnet DC motor with brushes. At one end is a
5/8x1-3/8x7/16" ball bearing, and the other end of the shaft runs in a
plain steel bushing. The bushing end is mounted up in the lawn mower,
and there is an oiling hole above the end of the shaft. That hole has a
felt wick in it, so it is possible to oil the shaft running in the
bushing. However, I want to run this motor oriented so the bushing end
is down, making oiling it through the wick by gravity unfeasible. As I
see it, my options a

just run it anyway, it will probably have the same life expectancy
because the lawn mower user probably never oiled it anyway

try to get the bushing out of the plastic end piece and replace it with
oilite, which is self-lubricating

try to epoxy on a lube fitting of some kind which I could use with my
Bridgeport way oiler gun to force oil up in there

Anyone had this problem and solved it?

Grant

I think you'll find that "steel" bushing is really an oil retaining
sintered iron bearing. It's similar to Oilite, but without copper/bronze
in it so it doesn't have the characteristic color of gen-u-wine Oilite.

Check the top of the second page he

http://www.sdp-si.com/D200/PDF/D200_T16.pdf

If it wuz me, I'd just oil it up now, mount it as you described and
write a note somewhere on it to turn the motor over somehow and give it
another oiling every three years.

HTH,

Jeff

--