Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default electric lawn mower motor?

I have a feeling this question has come up before, but I googled and failed, so
here it is anyway. I have a motor I scrounged from a scrap electric lawn mower
(probably Black & Decker judging from the orange color). It's a permanent magnet
DC motor with brushes. At one end is a 5/8x1-3/8x7/16" ball bearing, and the
other end of the shaft runs in a plain steel bushing. The bushing end is mounted
up in the lawn mower, and there is an oiling hole above the end of the shaft.
That hole has a felt wick in it, so it is possible to oil the shaft running in
the bushing. However, I want to run this motor oriented so the bushing end is
down, making oiling it through the wick by gravity unfeasible. As I see it, my
options a

just run it anyway, it will probably have the same life expectancy because the
lawn mower user probably never oiled it anyway

try to get the bushing out of the plastic end piece and replace it with oilite,
which is self-lubricating

try to epoxy on a lube fitting of some kind which I could use with my Bridgeport
way oiler gun to force oil up in there

Anyone had this problem and solved it?

Grant