Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Radial Arm Saw Table Fence...

Todd wrote:
Hi,

I aquired a radial arm saw without a table. I've built a new table out
of 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF laminated together. I plan on putting a
sacrificial top on it, as well embedding a fence into it. Which brings
me to the actual question. I need to know where to put the fence. How
far from the post of the RAS? Do I want the blade to be COMPLETELY
behind the fence when pushed all the way back?

Yes. Assuming you value your hands and fingers.
__________

I'm not going to be using the RAS for anything but cross cutting, so
I'm not going to use any clamping mechanisms to hold the fence in
place. I assumed I would put a 3/4 dado where I want the fence, and
just place a 3/4 MDF fence in the slot.

Normally, a RAS table is two or more pieces, front table is fixed, back
table removeable. The fence is placed between them and the integral clamps
on the saw are used to clamp the back table against the fence and front
table.

Personally, I wouldn't want a fence just sitting in a dado. Even if you
glue or screw it in, fences get chewed up - yes, just from crosscutting -
and it is nice to be able to replace them. And even though you plan to only
crosscut you may change your mind in the future and it is handy to be able
to use specialized fences.

So...any thoughts about this? Also, how tall should the fence be?

High enough so the piece being cut can be firmly held against it.
Generally, they are about 3/4" but I like mine higher...as high as possible
without the saw bottom hitting it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...