Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Default Spalted Maple Finishing

Point taken. Likewise with FF's comment about "Tung Oil" vs. "Tung Oil
Finish". I still think it's a bit misleading, though. And unlike
something like Cheez-wiz, where you can read the label and clearly see
that it bears only a slight resemblance to cheese, it seems
particularly difficult to find information on the ingredients of
various finishes. It seems you need to infer a lot from the directions
for use.

Josh

George wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...
As far as the tung oil comment goes, perhaps I should clarify: True
tung oil is a curing oil and can be and has been used for centuries as
a finish. With enough patience one can get decent looking results with
superior water-repellent properties to linseed oil. However, for the
average consumer/woodworker, achieving good results with tung oil would
seem painstaking to say the least. It takes several days to cure
between coats and it takes many, many coats before an even sheen begins
to appear. Apply too many coats, though, and the built-up film will be
soft and weak.

You need to take a lesson in finishing from the lathe types. The oil
becomes almost incidental to the surface when the woods sanded, burnished
and buffed. Lovely stuff.

Would you be horrified to find that "baby oil" contains none? You can read,
look at the label. Resin for hardening, siccatives - not necessarily
metals, btw - to promote more rapid crosslinking.