Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Steam

Well said, Harold. Probably, there are a lot of steam fans on RCM.

Bob Swinney

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
snip-----
I lived three blocks from the tracks (one block from the center of town!)

Sigh! Yep, I did, too. I remember all too well the steam locos passing
by
us as a youngster. We were about two blocks from the D&RG mainline. A
spur ran behind our house, half block tops. I can remember many a wash
day
when my mother got her freshly washed whites blackened by cinders.

Ahh! The good old days! :-)

snip---

So I'm with you Harold - I miss the big iron - The great machines are
thankfully stored here and there. I got to see the Canadian Railroad big

6060
and sister onthe old rails north of Calgary.

Martin

We showed up a few times to see UP's 8444, then again when it was numbered
back to its original number, 844. We've also had the good fortune to
board 3985, just before it was converted to oil. They had it steamed up
for
the crowd to enjoy in Salt Lake City. Not too long afterwards we
enjoyed
a fan trip behind the old girl, which, by then, had been converted to oil.
The trip took us into Idaho from Utah, then returned.

All in all, a great day.

I truly miss the old steam locos and find little comfort with the modern
units. I fully realize they are superior, but that doesn't make them any
more desirable to me. Steam, like all living critters, had to die.

I'm grateful for the engines that have been saved.

Harold