Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

Default Windows and Siding: Home Depot?

wrote:
Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will
probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath
replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate.
He seemed
honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't
too bad either
(I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series
windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job
installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some
horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tz

For many of the common jobs like counter tops, kitchen
cabinets, window or door replacement and floor coverings, I
would seriously consider HD-type of contractors if you are
new to your area or don't know people. HD charges their
subs around 5% of the bid price, I understand, but for this
you have HD "behind" the work. If the sub comes in and
drops a hammer on your tile while removing trim, he's
obviously responsible for the damage. However, many of the
subs are small timers and getting them to actually
pay/repair the damage is problematic. That's where the
comfort of HD comes in. You would escalate your problem to
the HD rep,, and if you are in the right, the rep will step
in to either crack the whip on the sub or to get the repair
done by someone else.

With a HD-like contractor, you also don't have to fear about
getting the work done and all the subs/materialman paid.
Your "down payment" and "final payment." is to a major
corporation, and not to "Joe's window installation." If the
materials or labor are not paid, HD stands between you and a
mechanic's or materialman's lien, not just Joe's Window
Installation.

If you want to save a little, HD also runs special deals for
opening a charge account. We had granite cabinet tops
installed and got 5% off for opening a charge account and
then used the account to pay for the tops. The payment was
deferred 12 months, so we paid it off 11-1/2 months later
with no accrued interest. We had the money in an
investment, and that was the equivalent of another 6% or so
in savings.

Mark