Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows and Siding: Home Depot?

Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will
probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath
replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate.
He seemed
honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't
too bad either
(I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series
windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job
installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some
horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tz

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted?

I'd not use them, but others have with good success. Sort of a mixed bag
from various replies here over the past few years. They use local
independent contractors. Some very good, some, well, every class has
graduates at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The installers are just contracted by HD, they are local. Best to ask
for references of their work. If they won't give them...then you
already have your answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

Run, don't walk to your nearest Pella dealer or store. Every sub contractor
experience I've had with H-D has been a mess. Someone posted here that only
subs that don't have much business on their own, work for HD.
My 2 cents.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will
probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath
replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate.
He seemed
honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't
too bad either
(I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series
windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job
installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some
horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tz

Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20

I hired HD to do the three bay replacement windows in my bedroom. I
watched them work and asked questions, which they were happy to answer
-- to their credit. I then went ahead and replaced the other dozen
windows in my house myself. I did a much better job than they did
insulating the cavities where the weights used to be. I also used more
care to not scar the molding with my pry-bar.

A contractor will never care for your positions or your heating bills
like you will. If you're at all handy, replacement windows are not
hard. Full window replacements on the other hand could be a little
tougher.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Craven Morehead
says...

Run, don't walk to your nearest Pella dealer or store. Every sub contractor
experience I've had with H-D has been a mess. Someone posted here that only
subs that don't have much business on their own, work for HD.
My 2 cents.

Well now - I do agree that HD is not the best first source to go to, but that's
not to say that any and all who would be contacted through HD are bad. I got an
excellent contractor by just trusting who would install some doors I wanted from
my local hardware supply, I was new in town and the guy seemed reasonable.
Turned out to be stellar, and now works word of mouth only. That was nearly 12
years ago; he just finished my kitchen, a job that went off without a hitch.
He's done major work for two of my friends, too, with another lining him up.

This poster has a good impression of the HD contractor. So I'd advise this
poster to get a couple more estimates, and pay attention to the contractor's
apparent knowledge and how good the interaction is for the other two as well as
how the prices compare - possibly the HD guy is the keeper, maybe not.

But to knee-jerk warn him away just for having come from HD is just dumb.

If I were him, I'd pay more attention to what knowledgable people here may say
about the *windows*, and consider that in light of how much he wants to pay, how
long he plans to be in the house, etc.

Banty

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will
probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath
replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate.
He seemed
honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't
too bad either
(I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series
windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job
installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some
horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tz

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

wrote:
Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will
probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath
replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate.
He seemed
honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't
too bad either
(I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series
windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job
installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some
horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tz

For many of the common jobs like counter tops, kitchen
cabinets, window or door replacement and floor coverings, I
would seriously consider HD-type of contractors if you are
new to your area or don't know people. HD charges their
subs around 5% of the bid price, I understand, but for this
you have HD "behind" the work. If the sub comes in and
drops a hammer on your tile while removing trim, he's
obviously responsible for the damage. However, many of the
subs are small timers and getting them to actually
pay/repair the damage is problematic. That's where the
comfort of HD comes in. You would escalate your problem to
the HD rep,, and if you are in the right, the rep will step
in to either crack the whip on the sub or to get the repair
done by someone else.

With a HD-like contractor, you also don't have to fear about
getting the work done and all the subs/materialman paid.
Your "down payment" and "final payment." is to a major
corporation, and not to "Joe's window installation." If the
materials or labor are not paid, HD stands between you and a
mechanic's or materialman's lien, not just Joe's Window
Installation.

If you want to save a little, HD also runs special deals for
opening a charge account. We had granite cabinet tops
installed and got 5% off for opening a charge account and
then used the account to pay for the tops. The payment was
deferred 12 months, so we paid it off 11-1/2 months later
with no accrued interest. We had the money in an
investment, and that was the equivalent of another 6% or so
in savings.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I would vote for Pella too having Andersen and Pella products in my current
house. Visit the Pella website and download instructions on installing
their windows and doors so you have an idea of what they are supposed to be
doing.

. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All

I need new windows and siding...the siding is so bad that it will
probably have to stripped off, and some of the plywood underneath
replaced.

A sales-rep from Home Depot came by yesterday to give me an estimate.
He seemed
honest and knowledgable. The quote he gave for the entire job wasn't
too bad either
(I've gotten a few other estimates as well).

Now the question. Can Home Depot be trusted? Are there 6500 series
windows really as good they claim them to be? Do they do a good job
installing? They say they stand behind their work, but I've heard some
horror stories. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tz

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I am still waiting for Lowes to send their plumber for the 4th time to
correct the installation of a $1200 dishwasher. Work was done in December
originally. Bottom line.... I wouldn't give Lowes or Home Depot any more
of my installations money.

"Mark and Gloria Hagwood" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

wrote:
[...]

That's a darned shame. If I had been you, I would have
escalated the complaint like crazy. What in the world
happened? Was it a cut and dried issue, or are there
different interpretations about what happened and what is
needed to make you satisfied?

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

A quick follow up: The Home Depot Roofing sales-rep (not the windows
sales rep)
came by last week to give me a roofing estimate. He also seemed very
honest and
knowledgeable. He spent a lot of time with and gave me a quote for
removing the old shilngles and replacing with GAF architectural
shingles.

In addition, i have also called 4 local contractors, yet have only
heard back from 1 of them. He is coming tomorrow, hopefully. It has
been my experience that contractors
are some of the most unreliable 'business' people you will ever meet. I
have been
burned may times with contractor 'no-shows', this after taking the day
off from work.
At least the home depot roofing rep called me and said he'd be 15
minutes late.

tz

wrote:
Home Depot absolutely can NOT be trusted. I promise they will quote
you one price & then not show up & then demand more money. I am in the
middle of a Home Depot install nightmare right now. Do NOT use Home
Depot. I was warned & I did not listen! I have only myself to blame.
Don't make my mistake!