Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

Default Spalted Maple Finishing

"henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just made four jewlery boxes with 3/4 splated maple set in a
walnut frame for a top. I learned that sanding the wood does not work
because of the black lines getting spread around. Using a cabinet
scrapper I got the surface cleaned up. There seems to still have some
wax sealer impregnated into the wood but mostly gone. I was going to
finish one with clear shellac, 1 boiled linseed oil, 1 waterlox, 1
minwax tung or 1812 the canadian tung. Any suggestions with finishing
Spalted maple is appreciated. I do have varnish and poly in the shop. I
hope that these finishes wont yellow the white background. What would
make the colored lines pop the most as well as seal from future rotting.

Seal the splading with Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) Not the super market
verity but the specialty stuff at stores like Rockler.

Dave