Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

Default Which receptacle?

"Petrified Woodworker" wrote in message
news:vj2dg.168059$5Z.7600@dukeread02...
Hello:

Advice needed from persons owning one or more 220 VAC powered pieces of
woodworking equipment. I have almost completed my workshop. 20' X 22' with
10' ceilings.

Electrical as it relates to 220 VAC outlets:

(14) 220 VAC outlets - wired with 10 gauge - 30 amp breakers.

My dilemma. Is there one receptacle out there that would be common to most
220 VAC powered tools ?

What I have considered doing is wire nutting, taping & covering each box
until I purchase the piece of equipment that would be located there. Then
buy the appropriate receptacle to match the plug on the newly acquired
piece
of equipment.

Problem: The original reason for so many receptacles was to be able to
rearrange the shop in any configuration. But that would require one style
of
receptacle on every outlet. Then I would just simply attach a plug to
match
on any new piece of equipment purchased.

Problem: The receptacles need a 30 AMP minimum rating since I am using 30
AMP breakers. Well, all the receptacles I found at the "BORG" that meet
this
criteria are either dryer receptacles or oven receptacles. It appears the
only way to get a plug to fit would be with an integral pigtail.

Any suggestions appreciated . . . .
Steve

AFAIK, your Problem is the problem alright. I know some people who only like
Twist-Loc style plugs and receptacles so they have no problem cutting
whatever came with the tool off and replacing it. Considering the cost of a
tool this may not be too bad in relative terms of cost.

My General lathe came with the standard 240V 15A plug which looks like a
standard plug except that the hot pins are horizontal instead of vertical.
For my other tools that I converted to 240V, I had already selected that
size since 15A, 240V is plenty for them. My TS is only 2HP so I imagine a
3HP would want at least a 20A receptacle.
billh