Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water shutting off

most well systems are pretty well maintenance free. it could be a
simple fix but a number of different things could cause the switch to
lock out. pumps have a average life of 15 years tanks very depending on
water quality. i have seen them go 2 years and i have seen them last
thirty years.low water isn't allways due to water level the pump might
have problems keeping up with demand and the switch will lock it out.
in maryland we have areas that the well casing only goes in the ground
about sixty feet the rest of the well is drilled through a rock and the
hole in the rock is used as the casing. water seeps out of the rock
filling the hole. the switch you have with the lever on it is a good
sign that the well may be a low production well. if it wasn't there
should be no lever on the switch. the low production well use the well
as a resivoir. a six inch well will hold 1.4 gals. per foot. some well
companys will offer free estimates but i know with gas and labor prices
theese days most dont. we are the only ones in this area that doo. i
would call around in your area and see if any do.but stick with a well
service most plumbers dont have the equiptment to pull a pump if
nessasary. scott