Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg

Default Water shutting off

Our water has been shutting off the last few weeks. It does it when we
are using alot of water and when we just get home and use it. We have to
move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts up again
right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut off again.
Sometimes it will do it a couple of times a day. I am new to wells, etc.
so I have no idea what to try to fix it. The well is 110' deep and there
is a tank and control box inside the house. I have noticed the water
pressure has gone down over the last year, although nobody else in the
house seemed to. We have lived here 3 years and never had a problem
before. Is there anything I can try before calling a plumber?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walt

Sounds like you pressure tank may be waterlogged. Usually it will have
to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg" wrote in message
We have to
move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts up again
right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut off again.
Sometimes it will do it a couple of times a day.

Sounds like the pressure switch is sticking.

I have noticed the water
pressure has gone down over the last year, although nobody else in the
house seemed to.

That can be a water logged tank. Or lack of pressure in the bladder. You
can check the pressure with a tire gauge. It is probably lower than the
specifications.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Greg" wrote in message
Our water has been shutting off the last few weeks. It does it
when we
are using alot of water and when we just get home and use it.
We have to
move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts
up again
right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut
off again.

Sounds like the pressure contacts or start contacts, whatever,
depending on the kind of system, are borked. Unless you're sure
of what you're doing, ti's probably best to call in an expert.
You likely need something changed out.

Sometimes it will do it a couple of times a day. I am new to
wells, etc.
so I have no idea what to try to fix it. The well is 110' deep
and there
is a tank and control box inside the house. I have noticed the
water
pressure has gone down over the last year, although nobody else
in the
house seemed to. We have lived here 3 years and never had a
problem
before. Is there anything I can try before calling a plumber?

AFTER the contactors or whatever are fixed and working, mention
this to whoever's working on it. Most likely it's going to be
self-correcting OR the guy doing the work for you will be
resetting it anyway, but mention it to him just in case it's the
bladder or something in the tank, etc.. The How Things Work web
site might be informative for you at this point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dont call a plumber call a well service company. the lever you are
resetting is there to reset after a low water condition usually found
in rock wells or low production wells. if you have to reset it that
often there is a problem with the tank,pump or well. it locks the pump
out to keep it from burning up in a low water condition. what state are
you in? scott

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message
We have to
move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts up again
right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut off again.
Sometimes it will do it a couple of times a day.

Sounds like the pressure switch is sticking.

I have noticed the water
pressure has gone down over the last year, although nobody else in the
house seemed to.

That can be a water logged tank. Or lack of pressure in the bladder. You
can check the pressure with a tire gauge. It is probably lower than the
specifications.

I can't see all sides of the tank to get any info on it. How do I find out the
specifications for it? And if it is lower than the specifications, does that
mean we need a new tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg

Pop wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message
Our water has been shutting off the last few weeks. It does it
when we
are using alot of water and when we just get home and use it.
We have to
move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts
up again
right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut
off again.

Sounds like the pressure contacts or start contacts, whatever,
depending on the kind of system, are borked. Unless you're sure
of what you're doing, ti's probably best to call in an expert.
You likely need something changed out.

Yah, I probably will but thought if it was something simple I could save
some money. Doesn't hurt to ask. I was talking to a neighbour and he
said the pump and tank are probably 13 years old. How long do these
usually last?

[...]

Where is this site? I know the pressure was lower because the washer and
dishwasher took alot longer to run thru' their cycle but since I am the
one who uses these the most, I am the only one who noticed. How do you
tell water pressure anyway? Do you put a gallon container under a tap
and see how long it takes to fill up? I never really even thought about
the pump, tank, etc. until now. Is there regular maintenance needed to
be done to prevent the problems I am having?

Posted to alt.home.repair

most well systems are pretty well maintenance free. it could be a
simple fix but a number of different things could cause the switch to
lock out. pumps have a average life of 15 years tanks very depending on
water quality. i have seen them go 2 years and i have seen them last
thirty years.low water isn't allways due to water level the pump might
have problems keeping up with demand and the switch will lock it out.
in maryland we have areas that the well casing only goes in the ground
about sixty feet the rest of the well is drilled through a rock and the
hole in the rock is used as the casing. water seeps out of the rock
filling the hole. the switch you have with the lever on it is a good
sign that the well may be a low production well. if it wasn't there
should be no lever on the switch. the low production well use the well
as a resivoir. a six inch well will hold 1.4 gals. per foot. some well
companys will offer free estimates but i know with gas and labor prices
theese days most dont. we are the only ones in this area that doo. i
would call around in your area and see if any do.but stick with a well
service most plumbers dont have the equiptment to pull a pump if
nessasary. scott