Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg

Default Water shutting off

Pop wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message
Our water has been shutting off the last few weeks. It does it
when we
are using alot of water and when we just get home and use it.
We have to
move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts
up again
right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut
off again.

Sounds like the pressure contacts or start contacts, whatever,
depending on the kind of system, are borked. Unless you're sure
of what you're doing, ti's probably best to call in an expert.
You likely need something changed out.

Yah, I probably will but thought if it was something simple I could save
some money. Doesn't hurt to ask. I was talking to a neighbour and he
said the pump and tank are probably 13 years old. How long do these
usually last?

Sometimes it will do it a couple of times a day. I am new to
wells, etc.
so I have no idea what to try to fix it. The well is 110' deep
and there
is a tank and control box inside the house. I have noticed the
water
pressure has gone down over the last year, although nobody else
in the
house seemed to. We have lived here 3 years and never had a
problem
before. Is there anything I can try before calling a plumber?

AFTER the contactors or whatever are fixed and working, mention
this to whoever's working on it. Most likely it's going to be
self-correcting OR the guy doing the work for you will be
resetting it anyway, but mention it to him just in case it's the
bladder or something in the tank, etc.. The How Things Work web
site might be informative for you at this point.

Where is this site? I know the pressure was lower because the washer and
dishwasher took alot longer to run thru' their cycle but since I am the
one who uses these the most, I am the only one who noticed. How do you
tell water pressure anyway? Do you put a gallon container under a tap
and see how long it takes to fill up? I never really even thought about
the pump, tank, etc. until now. Is there regular maintenance needed to
be done to prevent the problems I am having?