Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Subfloor repair

"Barry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Getting good acess at the 1 pm and 8 pm positions may prove to be a
problem as the joist is in about 6 inches under the concrete block with
a gap of about 6 inches for access. What do you suggest a hanger?

As for the insulation, it is all in perfect condition. The water never
touched the outerwalls of the bathroom or otherwise.

A single or double joist hanger depending on how straight you cut is.

There are a couple of ways to do it. All of which would work. But you have
to think about the deal killers, home inspectors when you sell. With that
in mind my preferred approach would be to use joist hangers and to attach
them to the rim joists and to the added headers. I would use 1.5" #8 hex
head screws in lieu of nails. Installed using a cordless drill and a 1/4"
hex head bit with a 6" shaft this lessens the misery a little. Isn't going
to be fun. This type of repair never is. For the angled nail into the
hanger I would use a 2" or longer #8 hex head. There will be a couple you
just can't get to and I would not worry about them. You won't find a one
piece 1/4" x 6" hex driver at the BORG. Look for a local screw supply
company. Should cost about $5 unless they see you coming.

It looks like your joist are 2x8. If you can get a 2x6 over the water pipe,
I would use that instead of 2x4. It really isn't needed IMO in this case
but remember the deal killers.

Second best option would be cut blocks on 2x material and wedge under them
using shims to secure a tight fit.

Colbyt