Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

Default run car on moonshine

The big problem is that to get the most alcohol out of the wort you need
plenty of sugar, about 1 pound per 10 gallons of wort. (don't ask how I
know). Buying/growing the corn isn't that hard, but you start to buy large
amounts of sugar and BATF will be on you in no time.

IIRC 5 gallons of 180+ proof is about 50 gallons of wort, normal (not fast
ferment) takes about a week, and takes just about a day to double distill to
get 180+ proof. I assume you have a good source for plenty of cold water,
and no neighbors who will complain about the smell...

On last thing, ever seen a still blow when it's doing the second run and is
full of hi proof ?....

Honestly if yer gonna make 'shine' you'd be better off selling it and buying
gas with the profit.. LOL... (oh and 2 days in charred oak makes mighty fine
sippin whisky)...

--.- Dave

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message k.net...
Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car
will run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say 5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the
shop warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn
burner boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200
proof VBG

--
(©¿©) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Karl Townsend