Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default RCM wiki database

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I do know something about technical writing, and any such publication
would be of dubious quality unless some attempt were made to keep it to a
certain minimum level of writing quality. This could be accomplished by a
system of peer review which might look like: a guy writes a piece and
publishes it, then another person reads it and sees how it could be
improved and contacts the author with suggestions, after which the author
edits it and updates the piece, iterated indefinitely. This would require
a separate communication system. Even better would be if the whole thing
had a person who acted as a global moderator, who could if given
sufficient motivation remove articles entirely.

Grant,

It sounds like a global moderator would be ultimately virtually impossible.
Perhaps a group of individuals would be more appropriate. I'm not really
sure even that could happen. It sounds like the host would effectively have
control content to that extent.

The good thing about wiki is you can always edit it at any time. You don't
need to ask anyone. Personally I don't know the nitty gritty details about
how editing actually works - if there are "global moderators," how to keep
out questionable information, keeping people who are detrimental to the
community at bay and indeed identifying what is detrimental and what is
allowable, etc.

I'm sure there's info available on one of those sites. I'll have to poke
around.

Regards,

Robin