Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default RCM wiki database

Ah. In fact, check out the article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalworking
Looks like someone has a good start at it already, and there's a flag on
the article saying "This article or section is in need of attention from
an expert on the subject. Please help recruit one, or improve this
page yourself if you can. Please see discussion page for details."

So, sounds like we're not just welcome to use it, but being asked to
help.

Dave Hinz

I'm no wikimaster to say the least, but I went and poked around the
above-referenced link and all I saw were definitions, as is consistent with a
dictionary. I didn't see a single article in the sense we would think of it,
e.g. Teenut on how to grind a cutoff tool.

This all sounds like an attempt to revive the long long dormant FAQ (not updated
to my knowledge since 1995) which would be welcome indeed.

I do know something about technical writing, and any such publication would be
of dubious quality unless some attempt were made to keep it to a certain minimum
level of writing quality. This could be accomplished by a system of peer review
which might look like: a guy writes a piece and publishes it, then another
person reads it and sees how it could be improved and contacts the author with
suggestions, after which the author edits it and updates the piece, iterated
indefinitely. This would require a separate communication system. Even better
would be if the whole thing had a person who acted as a global moderator, who
could if given sufficient motivation remove articles entirely.

I have written articles and posted them to places like metalwebnews and had them
mangled in publication and nobody to respond to my requests to fix.

Anyway, it all sounds great to me.

GWE