Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default RCM wiki database

"Ignoramus18798" wrote in message
.. .

Wikipedia is an extremely useful resource. Dave is right about
that. On the other hand, it would be against their nature to publish
extremely specialized articles, like how to select argon pressure and
CFM for welding or how to measure thread pitch, etc. And that, I
think, would be a real benefit of metalworking wiki.

I think we share the same vision. I think the wiki should be very
specilized, like a textbook or guide to specific metalworking techniques.

Ultimately I think that usenet just isn't all that great for archiving
content in an easy to find way. People end up endlessly explaining the
differences between various import machinery manufacturers and products, how
to get into CNC at home, speeds and feeds, etc. I know from personal
experience that after years of repeating yourself, you eventually just don't
contribute any more.

Also, we could refer to wikipedia articles from the metalworking wiki,
so that we do not need to rewrite the great stuff that is maintained
there.

True. It's a good start for people who are very new to metalworking.

I own algebra.com and have a decicated server to host algebra.com
anyway, so hosting one more virtual domain is very easy for
me. (algebra.com is a little algebra tutor community where free tutors
help students for free).

You are a virtual philanthropist, Iggy. Giving your time and money to those
in need is a noble endeavour. I think everyone here donates a lot of time to
helping others get into this craft as well. This is exactly why wiki would
be so powerful.

Perhaps it would be a good start to host on your algebra server. At least to
get the ball rolling and see how things move. The metalworking.com name
would be more appropriate aesthetically, and would tie things in more
neatly, but I'd be more concerned with ultimately getting content online.

Regards,

Robin