Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18798

Default RCM wiki database

On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:40:15 -0400, Robin S. wrote:

"Ignoramus18798" wrote in message

One wiki is wiki.algebra.com and another is a financial planning wiki
for misc.invest.financial-plan newsgroup.

So... If a few people say so, I will create one so that we can create
a "collective body of knowledge". Should be 1 day to me.

Forgot to add, this wiki will probably be published under GNU Free
Documentation License (GFDL).

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

If so, I will post a nightly snapshot of the database so that it can
be reproduced elsewhere in case if, say, I should die.

In other words, the data would not be proprietary.

Iggy,

Thanks for the offer. It sounds like one way or the other we can get
something started. Dave's idea about using Wikipedia sounds very lucrative
(see my other post). Do you have any thoughts on the hosting side of things?
Donated server space sounds like a hassle and inconvenience for those who
are donating.

Wikipedia is an extremely useful resource. Dave is right about
that. On the other hand, it would be against their nature to publish
extremely specialized articles, like how to select argon pressure and
CFM for welding or how to measure thread pitch, etc. And that, I
think, would be a real benefit of metalworking wiki.

Also, we could refer to wikipedia articles from the metalworking wiki,
so that we do not need to rewrite the great stuff that is maintained
there.

I own algebra.com and have a decicated server to host algebra.com
anyway, so hosting one more virtual domain is very easy for
me. (algebra.com is a little algebra tutor community where free tutors
help students for free).