Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default RCM wiki database

On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:37:24 -0400, Robin S. wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Question: why not just put our stuff in wikipedia? It's on-topic, and
that way it gets administered by _someone else_.

I wasn't aware this was an option. Indeed I thought it might be somewhat
frowned upon.

Not really. I've started quite a few "trees" over in wikipedia that
have grown surprisingly well in the years since I started them there.

From my novice point of view, it seems like our data might get
lost in a sea of related but not specifically RCM information if it's hosted
on wikipedia. I can't find any examples of separate communities on
wikipedia, but that's after only two minutes of looking.

Well, it doesn't need to be a seperate anything there, really. A base
article on Metalworking, could mention different operations such as
milling, drilling, lathe work, welding, bending, casting, etc etc etc.
Each of those can have their own article which then talk about
equipment, techniques, or however. Doesn't matter which wiki we build
it on or in, the organization will be organic and dynamic, the
inter-linking is what makes it useful.

Ah. In fact, check out the article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalworking
Looks like someone has a good start at it already, and there's a flag on
the article saying "This article or section is in need of attention from
an expert on the subject. Please help recruit one, or improve this
page yourself if you can. Please see discussion page for details."

So, sounds like we're not just welcome to use it, but being asked to
help.

Obviously I really have no idea of how this should be done. It's good to see
that we have at least two experts here.

I'm open to either approach, leaning somewhat to the wikipedia one
because it's less work and will be around forever.

Dave Hinz