Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18798

Default RCM wiki database

On Mon, 22 May 2006 08:26:05 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:32:59 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus18798 quickly quoth:

I already host two wikis on algebra.com and will be happy to set up a
metalworking wiki. I use mediawiki, the same software that wikipedia
runs.

One wiki is wiki.algebra.com and another is a financial planning wiki
for misc.invest.financial-plan newsgroup.

So... If a few people say so, I will create one so that we can create
a "collective body of knowledge". Should be 1 day to me.

Go for it, Ig. And Thanks!

Here's are some things that I would like to propose:

1) It is published under GNU free documentation license. That means
that it is an open source style license, anyone could take these
articles and republish (with credit given).

2) A daily snapshot of the wiki database would be published, so it can
be archived off site and reproduced in case if my hosting goes bad.

Should I host in under a hostname such as metalworking.algebra.com?
Or should I register a separate domain? What's a good name here?

What I want is to set up some safeguards and protections so that this
"body of knowledge" is not my proprietary thing, but is instead a
collective asset (smacks of communism, but this is information that
wants to be free, not "real goods").

Also, I do not want to create any controversy, so if there are enough
people objecting, (say over 20% of all opinions expressed, or 4
persons, whichever is less), I will not go ahead with this.