Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default RCM wiki database

On Mon, 22 May 2006 02:37:44 -0400, Robin S. wrote:
Food for thought:

I was thinking that a Wiki database for RCM would be a very viable solution
for archiving the seemingly endless knowledge available within this group.

I'd say the most well known example of wiki is www.wikipedia.org which is an
encyclopaedia composed of articles contributed and edited by anyone at any
time.

Question: why not just put our stuff in wikipedia? It's on-topic, and
that way it gets administered by _someone else_.

Wiki would allow everyone to contribute their own techniques and experiences
as quickly, if not more quickly, than on this group. It would also allow
users to easily contribute and find information based on specific subjects
in an organized and simple hierarchy menu system.

Yes, it's an excellent way to maintain documentation without it being a
pain in the butt to write and link.

Perhaps we have some experts here? Any thoughts are helpful.

I've implemented, er, a few dozen wikis for clients and employers over
the years. It's a great tool. For something like this group, it'd
definately be an asset, but I think wikipedia would be a better idea
than having one of us host it. (I say this as someone who hosts apps
myself). I'd hate to spend time contributing to something that could
just go away if the one person gets bored with it or short on hosting
money. Wikipedia seems to be self-sustaining for the forseeable
decades.

Dave Hinz