Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default RCM wiki database

Food for thought:

I was thinking that a Wiki database for RCM would be a very viable solution
for archiving the seemingly endless knowledge available within this group.

For those unfamiliar...

http://www.wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

I'd say the most well known example of wiki is www.wikipedia.org which is an
encyclopaedia composed of articles contributed and edited by anyone at any
time.

I'm sure this group collectively consumes hundreds of hours each week
replying to questions which have been asked dozens of times, only to get
lost in the Google archives, never to be found by thirsty eyes again.

Wiki would allow everyone to contribute their own techniques and experiences
as quickly, if not more quickly, than on this group. It would also allow
users to easily contribute and find information based on specific subjects
in an organized and simple hierarchy menu system.

Naturally there are issues. User-editable articles can be full of useless or
incorrect information. Ideally the group collectively keeps the content
relevant and error-free, but there's no guarantee. Also, I'm not sure where
the database could be hosted or any of those types of details.

Perhaps we have some experts here? Any thoughts are helpful.

Regards,

Robin