Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Default Coarse/Fine Drywall Screw Threads

Leon wrote:

Strength is what you give up when using any dry wall screw except when
hanging sheet rock.

You know everyone says that they're really brittle, but I've never
snapped or broken a drywall screw. In my experience the driver head
cams out first.

I believe there is a place for drywall screws with sheet goods, as the
threads are sharper and finer than most wood screws, which seems to
leave more material to grip the screw. I built a really crude set of
shelves to support my home theater receiver, VCR, DVD player, etc. using
MDF and butt joints with drywall screws. No glue even. So far it's
held up for about 5 years.

Chris