Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Small Slab Removal

On Sat, 20 May 2006 23:23:06 GMT, "Cliff Hartle"
wrote:

I second using this kind of tool.

I have used one of these saws many times cutting through poured concrete and
block. It cuts like going through butter as long as you don't force it.

Wear a dust mask, it going to make alot of dust.

With the right touch it might take 30 minutes to an hour.

Drilled holes and sledge would take all day a hammer and chisel you would
take forever.

And he wouldn't get a clean cut like a saw would do.

I've seen gas powered saws, but I suppose they have electric too.

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Jay Pique wrote:
I've got to take 12" inches off of a 10' run of concrete slab that's
about 4" thick. I was thinking about using a small rotary hammer to
either drill a bunch of holes and crack it off with a sledge, or use
the hammer only mode with a chisel. Am I going to be asking too much
of the tool? It's a Makita 1" D-Handle Rotary Hammer "Put Bull" model
HR2455 that draws 7amps.

Thanks.

JP

I have one of the Pit-Bull hammers and it is quite capable but it gets
pretty slow in the heavy going. If I were doing what you describe I'd hit
the slab first with the biggest concrete-cutting device I could find.
First choice would be something like a rental Stihl concrete saw
http://www.stihlusa.com/construction/TS400.html to at least score the slab
deeply if it didn't actually cut all the way through. After scoring,
getting a clean break is dead simple. Rental for an afternoon shouldn't be
ruinously expensive.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]