Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Year 6 Ryobi weed trimmer report

On Sat, 20 May 2006 14:29:27 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

Btw..they are made in Chandler/Mesa Arizona.

Want the number for the plant supervisor or Sr. Engineer, so you can
bitch about the early failure? G

Yeah Gunner, I do. I don't think the valve head shoulda dropped off. I
took good care of that trimmer. But even more of a bitch is when I
went to buy a new one. The Troy-Bilt web site lists Lowe's as the only
retailer. I did find other sources but they were all mail order. On
top of that, Lowe's doesn't carry all the models listed. I wanted to
get an exact replacement but the trimmers with the 26 cc motor at
Lowe's didn't come with the two part shaft. The web site shows one
though. So I bought the 29 cc model. It may have a little more power,
but not 30 bucks more. And finally, the Troy-Bilt web site says to
call the retailer for more info about the trimmers. There is no number
given to speak to a Troy-Bilt employee. I did try calling Lowe's for
info. Three times. And each time I got their "expert". None of these
guys knew jack about the 4 stroke trimmers. One even contradicted the
web site info. And the web site info was correct. Still, I bought
another one of the things because they seem to be the only 4-stroke
trimmers available that burn straight gas. Stihl makes a 4 stroke
trimmer but it uses 50:1 gasil mix. I guess this is to avoid oil in
the crankcase. But if you gotta mix gas and oil why not just get a 2
stroke? The 4 stroke does get better mileage but it's not like a weed
trimmer is gonna burn much gas.
ERS

Contact info emailed.

2 stroke engines are now illegal in California. We cannot buy most of
the recons from Harbor Freight either. 4 stroke or some selected
grandfathered in units. Check the HF online ads..not for sale in
California..etc etc etc.

Everything is grandfathered, but no new sales of 2 strokes in the
Golden State.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33