Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Contactor buzzing on condensor unit, was $128 replacement a good idea/price?

"jymusic" wrote in message
My mom and I both live in the same complex. We likely have the same exact
model of central A/C condensor (around 19 years old). Mine says Carrier
38EN048320.

We both had a tuneup scheduled and, in addition to the regular tune-up,

the
technician recommended the EXACT same extra work on both our units, which
makes use wonder if the extra work was really necessary and the price was
really reasonable.

On mine, the maintenance technician showed me that the contactor was
buzzing. The old part says "8726 Honeywell R824381247 (3) 24V 50/60ZH
HN51DC024A"

He also recommended putting in a condensate trap, which is a clear U

shaped
trap in the condensate line.

I went along with it and let him do both jobs and so did my mom.

1) Was wondering if the contactor making a buzzing sound is really a
problem? I don't know much about these, but the two "circular metal
(silver?) pieces" on the old contactor do look like they have some grime

or
maybe carbon on or oxidation. Does the buzzing mean the electromagnet is
struggling to pull the piece against the "metal circular (silver?) pieces"
to make a connection? Was $128 a good/fair price for replacement or too
high? I see he wrote down that he put in "a 2 pole 30a contactor"...the
original was 24a...was 30a really necessary?

2) Is the "ez flow P-trap" condensate trap is going to be of much added
benefit? Was $99 a good/fair price for installation or too high?

If the units were 19 years old and you did not need the P-trap for the first
18 years, I would say you have been taken on that at any price.

The contactor buzzing could be just some rust under the mating pieces or it
could need to be changed to prevent it from going out later.