Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Robert Gammon

Default Knotty pine - too many knots!!

BobS wrote:
"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

Thanks.

LD

No. Your only alternative now is to paint them. If you do, BE SURE
you use a stain killer primer (like Kilz) first or the knots will bleed
through the paint.

Bob

I see we have new Bob S. posting in the group...

I posted earlier but for whatever reason it didn't make it thru. I noticed
the OP cross-posted his question to several groups and maybe that's where my
reply went instead of here.

Paint is certainly an option but he could also use gel stains and/or artists
paints to lighten the knots and blend them in by feathering the stain to
lessen their presence.

(the original....;-)

Bob S.

I completely agree with the suggestion to use a stain killer primer (aka
Kilz). Knotty pine is RICH with oils that will bleed thru almost any
other type of paint, stain, or primer. For a smooth finish AFTER the
stain killer primer is applied, use a wood filler.