Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Vice is a Sin, Vise is what you use to hold stuff Old Vice, need a hand

On 19 May 2006 18:46:29 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:
On 19 May 2006 08:54:52 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

This is another USA / UK language gulf thing ! Vice with a 'C' is both
a bit naughty AND gripping in the UK where afterall the language
developed before being exported to the colonies.

Yes, but if you'd done a better job of it, considering all the time you
had, we wouldn't have had to make all these corrections.

dennis
in nca

We did a perfectly good (if idiosyncratic) job of it. It's just that Dr Noah
Wester couldn't cope with the Queen's English G

Mark Rand
RTFM

Perhaps. But don't forget old Noah was at least 4 generations removed
from Jolly Old.

Plenty of time to have some Native American and other European (in a
different manner than that in GB) words absorbed.

Bye the way: What Queen was that?

dennis
in nca

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
--James D. Nicoll

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33