Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Is tinted primer + one coat of paint enough for repainting walls?

wrote:
Unfortunately, cheaper paint is not really an option for two reasons:
(1) Having read about the unreliable quality of cheaper paints, I'm
really hesitant to try a cheaper paint, especially because I'm a novice
at this; and (2) I live in Manhattan and I don't have a car, so I'm
stuck shopping at one of the paint stores near my house.

The paint I want to get (Benjamin Williams) runs $42/gallon, whereas
their primer is a little over half of that, hence, the temptation to
use a coat of primer and one coat, instead of two coats of paint.

I've heard that as a general rule, you should always use primer before
you start, but given that (1) you said primer will offer poor coverage
of the old, darker colors; and (2) at least two of the rooms (the
orange and lime green ones) were painted with latex Benjamin Moore, do
you think I should just skip the primer and do two coats of paint?

Yes.