Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Is tinted primer + one coat of paint enough for repainting walls?

Art wrote:
Save money and by Behr paint at Home Depot. Kiltz at Walmart is good too.
Why pay 3 times more if you are only going to be there for a short time.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm getting ready to paint my new apartment and am trying to figure out
the logistics.

I'm using Benjamin Moore's Regal Eggshell paint (latex). One room is
currently painted dark orange, the other lime green (both also with BJ
latex paint), and I'm planning to repaint both of them to light cream.
The third bedroom is standard white, and I"m planning to paint that one
a soft, baby blue. All three rooms are small (110-160 sq. ft) with
high, 9.5 foot ceilings, and don't get much natural light (especially
the orange one).

My plan is to use primer tinted close to my topcoat, and follow that
with only one coat of paint. The paint stores near my house charge an
arm and a leg for paint and I'm on a tight budget, so I'm hoping this
is doable.

My question is: Can I get away with using high-quality tinted primer
plus just one coat of paint? I'm especially concerned if that's
possible in the orange room.

I'm not looking to do a perfect job, just a decent one that I'll be
happy with for the year or two I'm living there. Any advice/experience
is much appreciated.

I had a job with behr paint, yellow over very pale purple (lavender?) -
took FOUR coats!!! behr SUCKS - it will cost you 4 times what it should
in paint and time.

With the top of the line benjMoore paint you MIGHT even get away with
one coat, no primer!