Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default sharpening turning tools

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:06:47 -0700, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

I, a green turner, have problems hand grinding to perfection, and have
been lurking around this thread, preparing to make some sort of jig.
One of the systems shown in the links, which looks pretty simple, rests
the butt end of the tool in a pocket or stop on an adjustable arm, with the
business end of the tool forming the proper angle above center on the wheel.
Am I too chicken, thinking that a slight error in judgement would cause
the tool to "catch" (as in turning) on the wheel, with frightening results?
Old Chief Lynn (the chicken hearted)

I hand sharpen everything (including twist drill bits), and I've never
had a "catch". The notable problems are getting a feel for the
angles, and learning how much you can grind, and how quickly, to
prevent burning on the tip.

I'm beginning to think I'm on my own with the no-jig philosophy, but
jig or no, I wouldn't worry about the grinder causing a catch like the
lathe can.