Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lynn Coffelt

Default sharpening turning tools

"keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi to all,
i am still new to the art of woodturning and i am still investing in
high quality tools as i have always been told to buy the best i can
afford. i have been having probloms sharpening my tools as i dont want
to ruin a good tool with a bench grinder as i get the gitters when i
start to sharpen them.even at the best of times i think that they could
be sharper and neater looking. so i started to sharpen them on a good
oil stone this does the job but i dont know if they are as sharp as
they could be or good for the tool. any help on the subject would
apprecated. many thanks and safe turning!!

I, a green turner, have problems hand grinding to perfection, and have
been lurking around this thread, preparing to make some sort of jig.
One of the systems shown in the links, which looks pretty simple, rests
the butt end of the tool in a pocket or stop on an adjustable arm, with the
business end of the tool forming the proper angle above center on the wheel.
Am I too chicken, thinking that a slight error in judgement would cause
the tool to "catch" (as in turning) on the wheel, with frightening results?
Old Chief Lynn (the chicken hearted)