Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default sharpening turning tools

On 18 May 2006 14:04:46 -0700, "keith" wrote:

hi to all,
i am still new to the art of woodturning and i am still investing in
high quality tools as i have always been told to buy the best i can
afford. i have been having probloms sharpening my tools as i dont want
to ruin a good tool with a bench grinder as i get the gitters when i
start to sharpen them.even at the best of times i think that they could
be sharper and neater looking. so i started to sharpen them on a good
oil stone this does the job but i dont know if they are as sharp as
they could be or good for the tool. any help on the subject would
apprecated. many thanks and safe turning!!

I use either a grinding wheel or a 1" belt sander.... what you use isn't as
important and HOW you use it..

My wife and I sharpened by hand for years and the tools were sharp but not
consistent... you don't want to get used to a new angle every time you sharpen..

I built a simple jig that clamps to the grinder and has 2 scrap boards with
slits and wing nuts to adjust length and a v-shaped block on the end to hold the
tool handle... most jigs start with simply moving the butt of the handle away
from the grinding surface until the tip is resting on the wheel at the correct
angle..

Darrell Feltmate has designed a shop built jig that will give you the idea..

http://aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis