Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
caaron

Default sharpening turning tools

I'm also new and originally tried to sharpen my gouges and skews with a
Veritas tool rest (but no jigs). I had a terrible time--was not able to get
the edges clean and smooth, had lots of facets, and the tool angles were all
wrong. Finally broke down and purchased the Tru-Grind jig and within an hour
all of my gouges and skews had perfect edges--it was that easy to learn to
use it. Even my fingernail grinds look perfect, and more important--cut
perfectly. I recommend this jig highly...

Chuck

"keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi to all,
i am still new to the art of woodturning and i am still investing in
high quality tools as i have always been told to buy the best i can
afford. i have been having probloms sharpening my tools as i dont want
to ruin a good tool with a bench grinder as i get the gitters when i
start to sharpen them.even at the best of times i think that they could
be sharper and neater looking. so i started to sharpen them on a good
oil stone this does the job but i dont know if they are as sharp as
they could be or good for the tool. any help on the subject would
apprecated. many thanks and safe turning!!