Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Default ISO super 9 foil/fleece used again

Christian McArdle wrote:

I'll know if the stuff works properly soon. My not yet finished loft
conversion has it. I will say that in February, the room became the warmest
in the house, despite not having installed the heating in it and having
hardboard for one window and roofing felt for another. Previously, the roof
had about 25mm of expanded polystyrene behind hardboard and was slightly
cold, but not excessively so.

To jump on the thread...

I am on the verge of getting the entire loft insulated, but the dilemma
is that I want to use the loft space for PC equipment, a server or 2 and
other things, so....
If I were to use this iso-10 stuff rolled over the rafters presumably I
would have significant benefit from heat reduction in the loft during
summer, but would the insulation in the living areas below be compromised?

What I mean is, would having the roof insulated rather than the ceiling
require a greater heat input to warm the room below or shouldn't the
difference be significant (once the loft achieved an elevated temp)

The whole of the living area below is heated by UFH (4 zones)

Oh, and..... :¬)

The living area gets extremely hot in the summer as it has a fairly high
glass area and gets masses of reflected light from the Estuary as well
as direct sun, so theoretically would insulating the rafters rather than
the ceiling make the loft hotter as more heat would get through the
ceiling? I suppose Insulation of rafters AND ceiling would cover both
concerns but seems excessive.

Sorry to burden you with my ponderings, but I have been head scratching
for a long while trying to work this one out.

Cheers
Pete

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.