Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood

Fred,

A 14 hour period is not much of a test, but between 5:00 pm yesterday and 7:00
am this morning the alcohol soaked bowl lost 25 grams and the unsoaked bowl lost
10 grams. This is the first time that I've checked two identical pieces (i.e.,
same wood) at the same time.

I have noted this in every bowl I've dried using the alcohol method. I
believe it is due to much of the alcohol evaporating. I chart the drying
progress of each bowl done this way. In addition, I weigh the bowl
before immersing it in alcohol.

Try weighing the bowls every day at roughly the same time. I usually
consider the bowl dry enough when I get the same reading on three
consecutive days. (Using a postal scale that measures to 0.1 ounce.)

Please keep us posted on the progress.